We make six distinct types of shuttles. Not all are in production at the same time. In fact, Bluster Bay shuttles are now made on an irregular basis and sold ONLY through our own web store. When we have them in stock, find them here: Blue Flag Handweaving store.
Use these links to learn more about our various shuttles:
- Boat shuttles for conventional 4-inch and 6-inch bobbins
- End-feed boat shuttles
- Swedish-style boat shuttles for use with paper quills
- Super Slim boat shuttles for use with paper quills
- Ski shuttles and poke shuttles
- We also sell bobbins, end-feed pirns and paper quills
Each Bluster Bay shuttle is made one-at-a-time, by hand. We begin with the finest imported and domestic hardwood. Each variety of wood we use is selected for its combination of beauty, strength and durability. We carefully cut each shuttle to expose the best color and grain. Sanding is a long and careful process ending with a finish of satin smoothness that is sealed with Danish oil. After drying for several days, each shuttle is hand buffed with steel wool, waxed, then buffed again. This process results in shuttles that are silky smooth. Each has a luster and warmth, and is a delight to the touch.
The variety of woods we use changes frequently.